Sunday 25 May 2008

Nostell Steam Rally

Today was such a lovely day it was agreed that tools should be downed and that a visit to the Nostell Steam Rally would be in order. Now don't get me wrong; I am not some weirdo steam enthusiast that wanks lyrical about steam. I'm not. I like steam engines. I can stand and watch their technological wizardry for hours. But if I never saw another steam engine then I wouldn't be bitter. I'd be a bit sad maybe, but I wouldn't like like "OMG! ONOES! T EH steamz0rzzzz WTF!"




Still, I do like a good gathering of people that like to display their weirdnesses. At £6 entrance fee, it was reasonably priced. I got to see lots of steam engines (from ickle tiny ones to HUGE "mo'fo' get out the way or it will squish you" ones. Also in the bargain was a vintage car rally. There was a time when Ford Granada's were common place. Now they are classed as vintage! This also goes for Capris which, rather bizarrely, have an owners club based in Leeds. See that sort of passion, I cannot understand, but still some people like that sort of thing so who am I to judge.




So I took some piccies and some video but my camera phone has been playing up recently (How fortuitous. It was working like a dream last week and now that I'm in range of my contract expiring it has started to goof up, funny that isn't it? No doubt if I ring Orange up and say "Oi My phone is knackered!" they would say "Oh well seeing as your contract runs out in July why not upgrade and have a new contract with it. Yeah right) so I have no guarantee there is sound on the videos.




So without further ado (and because I've got a 16oz Rump steak with my name on it in the fridge) may I present the photos that came out.




















Nostell Priory











The entrance to the rally











Steam things













A steam powered thing













Yet another steam powered thing






It's a Capri, it might as well be steam powered. Did you know Ford used special rust generating steel to make Ford Capris?









A bus (petrol or possibly diesel powered but for the purposes of this post please imagine it is steam powered)






Tractors. There be farmers around somewhere.













Look mum! Steam things!






Steam powered birds of prey!






A steam powered mini (ok maybe not but it's a minimini)











A steam powered organ thing









Another steam powered organ thing









Yet one more steam powered organ thing





No comments: